Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Count that Protein!

I am now back into the 2:30 am 1/2 peanut butter sandwich phase. I make one before bedtime, put it in a ziploc baggie by the bed, and when I'm awoken with hunger pains I nibble it away so I can fall back asleep. 2 Tbls of peanut butter has 7 grams of protein, the bread I buy has 2 grams of protein for 1 slice, 9 grams total, that's pretty good!

Do you love Mission Garden Spinach Herb Wraps? I do! 1 tortilla has 6 grams of protein! In the morning I have been scrambling 1 egg (approx 6 grams or protein), I then lay out the tortilla and 1 slice of regular American cheese (2 grams of protein), I put the egg in the middle and wrap it up! 14 grams of protein!

What is the protein goal of a post WLS op pregnant patient? Between 60 & 80 grams of protein a day, so each small meal must be packed with it! I hope some of these ideas help... they have been working (and sitting well in my pouch!) for me!

A note on fat: now is not the time to be fat free! Yes, of course stay away from desserts and fried foods, no good for anyone anyway! But healthy fats like you find in dairy and meat are essential for the growth of your baby and development of it's brain.

Share with me some small meal ideas that have been working for you!

Mrs. Murphy

1 comment:

Kim H. said...

I'm not pregnant so I don't know what will happen then, but for now:

South Beach Living High Protein Bars - Peanut Butter
Edemame

I also try to make meals that I can get lots of mileage out of - like I cook extra and freeze it. Soups and stir-frys are my favorites to do this with. (stay away from things that would dry out when reheated - yuck!)