Monday, January 12, 2009

What is a Slider Food?

Well, here is a specific definition from Kaye Bailey from Living after WLS:

"Kaye's Slider Food Definition: A slider food is an old food friend that tastes good in the mouth and feels good in the pouch, though it requires liquid for the most comfortable digestive processing. Presumably a dieter’s best friend (pretzels, crackers, popcorn) a slider food can be consumed in unchecked quantity without immediately contributing to weight gain. A slider food has trace nutritive value and scant satiation factor: it neither feeds the body nor the soul, although we are temporarily comforted in taste satiation, our nutritive satiation continues to crave regardless of the feeding of slider foods. A slider food is a fraud and a deceiver.

Disclaimer: This is my definition alone based on my personal experience and interaction with countless surgical weight loss patients.

So, you have your go-to comfort food. How do you know if it is a slider food? I challenge you to eat your go-to food observing the liquid restrictions. No water before/after "meal" for 30 minutes. No liquid with "meal". Sit down with a sleeve of saltine or graham crackers or bag fat free pretzels and eat to your hearts content WITHOUT liquids. Does this satisfy your cravings and satiate your soul? Does hunger stay at bay for 4-5 hours following consumption? Are you left wanting more, peeking in the cupboards looking for yet something else to satisfy? Are you able to eat a half-cup of pretzels without liquid relief? Does your go-to food feel like a meal or a cheat?"

So, I probably should have looked at the definition a little more closely, I guess my protein noodles and soups are ok! I must have been thinking of things that "slid" easily down; as long as they are nutrient and protein rich, they are good to go! Good thing, because the baby really likes them!

Here also, is a hyper-link to a Slider Food discussion forum, there are lots of opinions of what other foods may be "slider foods".

Now, I need to check on Taco Bell tacos, just a plain little meat, cheese and lettuce taco... baby REALLY likes them!

Best wishes!
Mrs. Murphy

1 comment:

Kim H. said...

Interesting... I'll have to think about that. I eat every 2-3 hours though, but I get the point. I have been eating a few to many crackers lately, but with the illness and nausea - it's about all I can tollerate.